Looking back, it’s clear to see that God’s hand was all over the formation of the table at Bethlehem Lutheran Church.
In January 2009, Bethlehem formed a Thursday night worship service with a focus on building authentic community. This new service, called the table, was the fruit of a series of conversations, much prayer, and several ministry partnerships. Many lay volunteers responded to God’s call to step up and provide a weekly meal for both the surrounding community as well as the Bethlehem community. Through a partnership with Mean Street Ministries volunteers from Bethlehem and across Denver were able to invite many of the working-poor who live in motels along West Colfax Avenue to come experience fullness of life in Jesus through the table community.
As of January 2014, the table has been meeting every Thursday evening for the past five years. God’s hand was all over the formation of the table and He continues to shape and help us grow today by...
- leading many people from the Denver Metro area to experience the eclectic and diverse manifestation of the body of Christ at the table
- tearing down walls (socio-economic, cultural, racial, ect.) that so often characterize the 21st century church
- leading us into mutually beneficial relationships of trust and accountability with all people through a shared meal and time of worship in the name of the Triune God
- leading us to develop more and more mutually beneficial partnerships with numerous faith-based and government agencies for the common good of the poor and marginalized
- leading the table leadership team to share His story in a variety of different contexts
- and most important, God’s hand is lifting up our collective eyes to the power of the cross and empty tomb of Jesus Christ.
Seeing God’s hand at work in our community has been an exciting journey for the past three years. We look forward to what lies ahead for our community as we continue to be a small part of His kingdom coming here in Lakewood. We invite and welcome you to come to the table, share your story with us, and be a part of where God’s hand is leading our community.